Tuesday 26 November 2013

Tycoon Tay Za to sue Thuriya Naywon journal for libel

YANGON – Myanmar tycoon Tay Za will take legal charges against a national publication, Thuriya Naywon (The Sun Rays), on libellous ground, Nyi Nyi Aung, spokesperson for Tay Za said yesterday.

Nyi Nyi Aung, also an office head of Htoo Group of Companies owned by Tay Za, said, “Our chairman [Tay Za] wrote about it in his Facebook page. The chairmen will respond with legal action against it [Thuriya Naywon] for person attacks on him.”

Yesterday's publication of Thuriya Naywon featured the articles "U Tay Za and His Diamond Nights" and "You, the Cronies Should Jump into the Bay of Bengal," along with his photo.

"I was surprised to read that the journal's editor-in-chief Moe Hein had challenged me by putting my name on the cover of today's journal issue," Tay Za wrote on his Facebook page yesterday.

"The reason why I was surprised is because an American citizen working in the media industry challenged a Myanmar citizen like me on his yellow journalism page. My father was Thiri Pyanchi U Myint Swe, who was awarded several times as a hero for serving in the first Burma Independence Army (BIA), the BDA, and the PBF. Besides this, [Moe Hein] does not seem to notice that the men in my family have sacrificed themselves for the country as members of the military family. [He] also does not seem to notice that I have also come back from the death after my helicopter crashed so I am not afraid to die again."

"I will speak to him gentlemanly within the law for his yellow journalism writings and insults, which have never been written by other media before. I will respond within the law for his insolent challenge. I will also respond within the law to other journals that defame me. I want to tell you not to run away now," Tay Za continued.

"At the same time, I want to tell the public that I will show my honesty and transparency to the world by sharing the situations and profits gained by my businesses, which have been attacked by some 'low' journals, and the companies that were established before and around the same time as my businesses in order to have a better development for the future of Myanmar people," he added.

Thuriya Naywon’s CEO Moe Hein said yesterday evening, “Our journal is doing our job. We publish what people should know. We haven’t received any notification letter about a planned legal action against us. We are doing our job and they can post in Facebook or distribute the letter. I have expected legal matters since we published the journal. I am not surprised about that.”

Thuriya Alin (The Sunlight) has stopped publishing on October 21 after publishing 12 volumes and Thuriya Naywon started publishing on October 26.

"In reality, we can only discuss the publication in Thuriya Naywon within the legal standard rather than from an ethic point of view in deciding whether it was wrong for publishing personal matters. If this personal information are wrong and it seemed like a slander, then [he or she] can sue [the journal]," Dr Than Htut Aung, chief executive officer of Eleven Media, said in response to Myanmar Journalist Network's announcement which claims that the writings on Thuriya Alin journal are contrary to the journalist's code of ethics.

source: Eleven Myanmar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...